“You are always free to do something that makes you smile.” ~ Unknown Author
It doesn’t matter what season is upon us, if you are feeling like you are losing your emotional balance, try one or more of the following simple tips to calm you and re-center yourself in an instant:
- Take a few slow deep breaths – deep breathing reduces stress and increases the oxygen level in the blood
- Watch or read something that inspires you – a little pep talk always help
- Go outdoors – fresh air clears your mind
- Take a short exercise break – take a walk or do something to get your blood moving. The slightest bit of exercise can re-energize your body and your mind.
- Dress to feel your best – when we are looking our best, we naturally feel better
- Call a close friend – a quick conversation with someone you trust can help to diffuse anxiety and boost your mood.
- Have a good laugh – watch or read something you find funny. Laughing stimulates your mind and gives you renewed optimism.
- Wash your hands and face, brush your teeth – this simple act refreshes you and gives you a “fresh start” feeling.
- Walk away from energy vampires – be conscious of those around that are negative, complain all the time or always need to vent about some problem or crisis in their life. Making you listen to them will only drain your energy so try to surround yourself with as many positive and uplifting folks as you can.
- Take a few moments to acknowledge how far you’ve come – take note of all that you have accomplished. Praise yourself for all the acts of strength and courage you’ve shown and your ability to bounce back.
Finding simple ways to boost your mood and re-energize yourself when you are stuck in a rut and feeling the stress of life is a skill worth learning to master. It is a timeless practice that used on a regular basis creates happiness always.